News Ticker

Experiences at Sacred Heart put Alumna on the Road to a Job at Dell…and the Boston Marathon

Amanda Crowe ’12 will run to raise money for Boston Children’s Hospital

The Jack Welch College of Business (WCOB) put alumna Amanda Crowe en route to a position as project manager at Dell EMC in Massachusetts, and her foray into fundraising at Sacred Heart University is putting her on the road to this year’s Boston Marathon.

Crowe graduated in 2012 with a degree in business administration and found an opportunity at Eze Castle Integration in Stamford, where she developed her client relations skills and increased her knowledge of technology. Two years ago, she moved on to Dell, where she has put the business skills she learned at the WCOB to good use.

“I learned a multitude of things from my professors and peers while in the Welch College of Business,” Crowe said. “Two of the best skills I was able to develop were my public speaking and networking skills. I have never enjoyed public speaking, as I am a pretty shy person, but the public-speaking classes and many presentations helped break me out of my shell. At Dell EMC, I won a sales pitch competition; the topic of my speech was all about how Dell EMC has helped the Boston Red Sox transform the way they play baseball and stay one step ahead of the competition.

“Networking has helped me tremendously, especially when working in a male-dominated industry,” she continued. “It has helped me line up my next projects and promote my own brand within Dell EMC.”

Crowe said she enjoys working on a variety of projects in which she acts as a consultant for clients to resolve their technology issues and improve their set-ups. “I specifically work on disaster recovery strategy and implementation, and I really enjoy it,” she said. “I also enjoy working with different people—everyone has a different work ethic and different ideas, and that can be both challenging and rewarding.”

While at SHU, Crowe started the annual Forever Pioneers Campaign with classmate Kelly Moulton. “It’s one of my fondest memories about Sacred Heart,” said Crowe. “I have watched this campaign grow significantly over the past four years, and I am absolutely amazed at the enthusiasm and generosity of the SHU community.”

Like public speaking and networking, charitable causes continue to be part of Crowe’s life after SHU. A former athlete who was on the University’s winning lacrosse team for two NEC championships, she is excited to run the Boston Marathon on behalf of Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH).

“I have always wanted to run the Boston Marathon, and I also have wanted to give back to the community of Boston in some way,” Crowe said. “Now I have that opportunity. I am fundraising for Boston Children’s Hospital because I want to help the hospital continue to provide exceptional care for children, to help them live longer and healthier lives.”

To prepare for the marathon, she ran a half-marathon in Cambridge late last year. She has begun official training with help from BCH, which is providing coaches and a training program for those who are running the marathon on its behalf. “I also plan on joining a running club that is based out of a store called Heartbreak Hill Running Company,” said Crowe. “Its Newton store is on the Boston Marathon route, and it hosts long runs on Saturday mornings. I enjoy being able to run with others who have different stories and different goals.”

For SHU seniors who have reached the final stretch of their own marathons to graduation, Crowe advised, “Do everything you can to have a job lined up for after graduation. If you do this, you are setting yourself up for success. I ensured I would have a job after graduation by completing three internships my senior year. The hard work pays off—trust me.”

Crowe said she maintains contact with some of her former teammates and professors through social media, and she continues to support SHU with contributions to The Fund for Excellence. “I understand how important it is to give back to the community that helped me get where I am today,” she said. “Once a Pioneer, always a Pioneer!”

To make a donation on Amanda Crowe’s Miles for Miracles fundraising page, click here.