The Sacred Heart men’s ice hockey team rallied with two goals in the third period to tie the Union Dutchmen 4-4 in the home opener at Webster Bank Arena in October.
Senior Justin Danforth broke the game open for the Pioneers (1-2-1) early with a power play goal at 6:21 in the first period. Sophomore Liam Clare set up assist for Danforth’s first goal of the season. Union (2-1-1), coming off a five-goal showing at its previous game, answered right back with two goals by Anthony Rinaldi and Mike Vecchione to take the lead.
The Dutchmen extended their lead to 3-1 in the second period with a goal by Ryan Scarfo only four minutes in. The Pioneers answered in front of the home crowd with another power-play goal. Senior Captain Evan Jasper fired home a sensational pass by Alec Butcher with 13:22 remaining in the second to make the score 3-2
– Magnus had five saves in the first five minutes.
– Danforth got the Pioneers on the board with his power-play strike at 6:21, assisted by Clare.
– Union answered back with the goal by Rinaldi on an assist by Kolias at 9:08.
– Vecchione added the power play goal to give Union the 2-1 edge in the first.
– Scarfo cushioned the Dutchmen lead to 3-1 early in the second.
– Jasper struck at 7:38 with Pioneers second power-play goal; Butcher and Danforth on the assist. Score now at 3-2.
– Jake Kupsky made two big stops on shots by Tsekos and Jasper to close out the second.
– Maier put Union up 4-2, with 16:45 to go in the third period.
– Carroll hit a wide-open Bavaro for the breakaway goal with 7:31 left.
– Less than a minute-and-a-half later, Tsekos tied the game at 4-4 with his goal off a deflection.
– Maier missed wide with two shots in the final minute.
– Kupsky made a great stop on a shot by Tsekos in the first minute of overtime.
– Magnus recorded five big saves in the last 3:30 of overtime.