News Ticker

Anthony Scaramucci Speaks Candidly at Welch College of Business about Lessons Learned the Hard Way

Investor shares stories of successes and mistakes

Dean John Chalykoff and Anthony Scaramucci talk with students in the Martire Forum.

Anthony Scaramucci, successful entrepreneur and author, provided advice to an audience of students, faculty, staff and guests at Sacred Heart University recently.

Scaramucci, who was honored at SHU’s Discovery Gala in April, was the featured guest at the Dean’s Leadership Series, speaking to a packed crowd at the Frank and Marisa Martire Business & Communications Center. He was candid as he related his financial opinions, political beliefs and stories of how he became a successful investor.

John Chalykoff, dean of the Jack Welch College of Business, led the discussion, which began with a video compilation of interviews with Scaramucci and his colleagues. Sacred Heart’s athletic director, Bobby Valentine, was included, praising Scaramucci for his work ethic and desire to give back to society.

Chalykoff began the discussion with a question designed to educate students that it isn’t always easy. Scaramucci recalled an ill-fitting polyester suit that he wore to his first serious job interview right out of Harvard Law School.  “I like to bring that up because nobody is perfect, especially when we are starting off,” he said. “I thought I was dressed in my best outfit.” Scaramucci went on to have a successful career at Goldman Sachs and Oscar Capital and, in 2005, founded SkyBridge Capital, the company he operates today. He also hosts the TV show Wall Street Week.

Raised in a middle-class family, Scaramucci credits his parents and grandparents for his success and has vowed never to do anything to comprise them. “I never want to dishonor my family who worked so hard to give me the opportunities I have in life,” he said. He advised the crowd to be honest and do the right thing.

To students looking for the best career fit, Scaramucci suggested focusing on what they like to do. “Think about what you liked doing from age 11 to 17, something in life you absolutely loved to do and then ask yourself ‘is that a way for me to make money, to make a living for myself?’ That’s where you’ll find the most joy.” He also told the audience to work with good people and to give back, because that’s where “you’ll find the most purpose.”

Scaramucci is involved in military charities and is a big proponent of giving back to the community.

To view additional photos from the event, click here.