News Ticker

Walker Named Team USA Sitting Volleyball Head Coach

Active with U.S. Men’s Sitting team since 2013, Walker says he is humbled, honored and excited to take on new opportunity

Greg Walker, Sacred Heart University head men’s volleyball coach, has been named head coach for the U.S. Men’s Sitting Volleyball Team, according to an announcement by Bill Hamiter of USA Volleyball.

Walker has been active with the U.S. Men’s Sitting Team since 2013. In his first year, he was head coach for the team that competed in an exhibition at the Defi Sportif in Montreal, Canada. Walker also was an assistant coach at both the 2014 ParaVolley Sitting Volleyball World Championship and the 2015 ParaPan American Games in Toronto, where the team qualified for the 2016 Paralympic Games by finishing with the silver medal.

“I am very familiar with this team and the support staff, as I have been able to be on staff for the last quad,” Walker said. “I am excited to be able to continue the journey we all started a few years back, and I know I am extremely excited to see the team at the end of the month at our monthly training camp in this new role.”

Hamiter, who is director of the U.S. Sitting Volleyball Program and head coach for the U.S. Women’s Sitting Team, said Walker “brings a wealth of knowledge and a very high work ethic to the team.  I look forward to Greg’s leadership during this Paralympic year.”

Walker accepted the position of head men’s volleyball coach at Sacred Heart, an NCAA Division I university in the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association, in October 2015 and will continue in that role. As Walker coaches his collegiate team and works part-time for USA Volleyball, he will be responsible for the daily training duties of the program’s resident athletes and oversee the training of the non-resident athletes effective Feb. 1.

“I want to thank USA Volleyball, the senior staff and Bill Hamiter for the opportunity to be a part of something very special,” Walker said. “Being an assistant coach for the program the last few years has been an incredible opportunity, and I am very humbled and honored as well as excited to be able to take on this new opportunity with USA Volleyball. I am very thankful to my senior staff at Sacred Heart University and their support in allowing me to pursue this amazing opportunity.”

Prior to accepting his position at Sacred Heart, Walker was head men’s coach at Alderson Broaddus University from May 2014 to October 2015. He led the Battlers to a 21-6 overall record and 7-4 mark in NCAA competition as the program transitioned to Division I-II status. Four of his players earned Off the Block All-Independent Conference honors.

Walker was a women’s assistant coach at Mississippi State University for the 2013 collegiate season. He helped mentor two players who were named to the AVCA All-American Honorable Mention list.

He led Pfeiffer University men’s and women’s teams during the 2012-13 season, guiding the men’s squad to the Conference Carolinas championship in 2013 and coaching the league’s player of the year.

Walker, who holds USA Volleyball Coaching Accreditation Program Level III and is a lead coach at Gold Medal Squared Elite Volleyball Training, attended Pennsylvania State University, where he majored in kinesiology and earned a bachelor of sport science in sport coaching at the United States Sports Academy.

Press release courtesy of USA Volleyball