News Ticker

Sheena Simpkins Named Director of Athletic Compliance

New director will assist with oversight of SHU’s 32 NCAA Division I Sports

Ansonia resident Sheena Simpkins is the University’s new director of athletic compliance.

As a former student-athlete at SUNY Albany and Mount St. Mary’s University in New York, Simpkins believes she is ready for the challenges at hand.

A Northeast Conference champion in the 4×400 meter relay while at the Mount, Simpkins went on to join the America East Conference All Champion Team in 2010 at Albany. She served as captain of the track and field team there from 2010 to 2011, when she earned her bachelor’s degree in arts history with a minor in business.

She began her career as a volunteer assistant track and field coach in her hometown high school in Middletown. Two years later, she became an administrative graduate assistant working with athletic compliance at Saint Francis University, Pennsylvania, where she completed her master’s degree in human resource management.

Simpkins said she chose to come to Sacred Heart University “because of its great drive for mission, development and its beautiful campus. I wanted to expose myself to others that hungered to do more than their job title requires, and I’ve already witnessed it here. Helping someone is such a humbling experience, and I am looking forward to participating in some of SHU’s volunteer programs in the near future.” .

In her role, Simpkins is responsible for assisting with the oversight of SHU’s 32 NCAA Division I Sports, ensuring that coaches and student-athletes follow all NCAA rules and regulations, and managing all recruiting and eligibility of current and prospective student-athletes.