News Ticker

Alumni Profiles in Success: Lynn Gorsuch ’68

“In my high school yearbook, I wrote that I wanted to become a teacher and travel to Europe. It is amazing that Sacred Heart made both of those dreams happen. Sacred Heart opened so many doors for me and made it all possible.”

As a member of Sacred Heart University’s second graduating class, and as the first woman in her family to attend college, Lynn Gorsuch ’68 was, and still is, a true Pioneer.

In 1961, Gorsuch’s family moved from Long Island to Weston after her father was chosen to manage Dugan’s Baking Company in Bridgeport. One of six children, going to college was difficult for Gorsuch and her siblings. She says she chose SHU for its Catholic roots, close location, and the numerous opportunities it offered her.

“I went to Sacred Heart for the exact reason why it was founded — to provide an opportunity for those who would not have been able to go to school anywhere else,” Gorsuch says.

She truly thrived at SHU, she says, and found it to be a wonderful stepping stone for her career.

As a Sacred Heart cheerleader, founding sister of Hai Adelphai sorority, and a history major, Gorsuch kept busy during her years at SHU. She was also a pioneer in Sacred Heart’s study-abroad program.

“I was one of the first four SHU students to study abroad at the University of Manchester in England,” she recalls. ‘It was a history honors program, and we went for the whole academic year. Our history professor at SHU, Dr. John Mahar, was very instrumental in us going abroad. It was an unbelievable experience and fulfilled my dream of traveling to Europe.”

Gorsuch notes the close community that existed among students and administration as one of her fond memories from her Sacred Heart experience. “The president at the time, President William Conley, came to my graduation party! Dean Raymond Hughes and Dean John Croffy were also very influential during my time at SHU,” she says.

After graduating in 1968, Gorsuch moved to New York City to work in protocol at the U.S. Mission to the United Nations. “I helped plan the ambassador’s parties, and I was selected to be a UN guide” she says. “After leaving the UN, I briefly worked for an investment banking firm and then decided to move back home.” She then enrolled in Fairfield University, where she earned her master’s degree in American Studies. Afterward, she started teaching at Hillcrest Junior High School in Trumbull.

Gorsuch’s two children, Kelly (’00 MAT) and Sean, followed in their mother’s footsteps and became teachers. Gorsuch went on to receive her doctorate in Educational Leadership at the University of Bridgeport in 2010.

Now in her 17th year of teaching social studies at Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk, Gorsuch enjoys reflecting on her time at SHU. “I always believed Sacred Heart gave me a wonderful opportunity. I am very thankful for Sacred Heart,” she says.

A former member of both SHU’s and Fairfield’s Alumni Association boards, Gorsuch continues to stay involved with Sacred Heart. Most recently, she helped plan the 50th anniversary celebration of her sorority, now known as Beta Delta Phi. “It was wonderful reconnecting with everyone at the reunion,” she says.

Expressing her best wishes for Sacred Heart’s future, Gorsuch offers advice for the incoming class of 2019: “Take advantage of all of the wonderful opportunities that are before you. Keep expanding your knowledge and get involved in activities. I had such a great time at SHU and it opened up my world. I wish the same for you.”

Alumni_Profile_Lynn_Gorsuch_2014

Lynn Gorsuch, seated third from left, reunites with her Beta Delta Phi
sorority sisters at a celebration in 2014.