News Ticker

SHU Delivers a Pair of Firsts for Women’s Golf

Junior Ellen Nighbor posts first under-par round in women’s golf history; freshman Chelsea Sedlar hits her first hole-in-one

Ellen Nighbor, left, and Chelsea Sedlar

Women’s Golf saw a pair of firsts in the fall, courtesy of two University team members.

Junior Ellen Nighbor posted the first under-par round in women’s golf history with a one-under 71 at the Dartmouth Women’s Invitational in September.

She moved up 11 spots on the leaderboard and tied for fourth overall in the tournament.

“We’ve had individual titles and team titles before, but I put it out there to the team that we’ve never had a sub-par round before,” said head coach Matt McGreevy. “Ellen had put it out to me that that was one of her goals. She shot 78 in the first round, but came out a different golfer in the second round. She played shot-to-shot, and I think she knew she was close heading into the last three holes.”

Nighbor rolled that performance into a pair of second-place finishes at the Quinnipiac Classic and the St. John’s Intercollegiate in October, earning NEC and ECAC Women’s Golfer of the Month honors.

The second program-first came on Oct. 12, when freshman Chelsea Sedlar hit her first-ever hole-in-one at New Haven Country Club.

“I got to the tee and I wasn’t having the best nine,” said Sedlar. “It was 154 yards and a little downhill, but there was a little wind. With the way the course was set up, you don’t want to be above the pin, so I was going to use my seven-iron and be below the pin. At the last minute, right before it was my turn, I decided to use my six-iron, thinking that even if I’m behind the pin, I’ll get it on the green.

“I just remember hitting it and it felt so pure,” Sedlar recalled. “As I was watching it, the ball was going right for the pin and I was saying to myself ‘just be close for a tap-in birdie.’ The ball took one bounce five feet in front of the hole and went in. With the way the light was, we saw it bounce but we couldn’t actually see the ball go in the hole. My mom was there, and so when we got to the hole, she was cheering along with some of the other groups that were around.”

“What was really impressive was, sometimes you get that and your adrenaline’s going,” said McGreevy, “but she was able to deal with that emotion and play very well the rest of the round. She made par on each of the next four holes, which is hard enough to do when you’re settled.”

Sedlar finished that round with a +4 74 and placed 13th in the tournament overall, her best finish of the fall.